Thursday, December 4, 2008

SHELBY BELLE'S FEELING BAD

Hey Hounders,
Shelby Belle here today. I've been a little under the weather. Last Friday morning it was apparent to Dad that I wasn't feeling well. Perhaps all of the barf puddles on the MBR carpet gave it away, or perhaps the fact that I turned my nose up at all food, even treats. Maybe it was the vomiting within 5 minutes of drinking any water. I don't know, but Dad is sharp (that's why Mom says he's tacky) and he caught on. Anyway, things didn't improve much Friday and Dad was worried I might be getting dehydrated so Saturday morning I went to see Doc Witter. at Confederate Ridge Animal Hospital. Our foster girl, Sophie, came along to keep me company and to get weighed; she's a bit over weight you see. Doc said I had a fever but didn't appear to be in pain when he checked for intestinal obstruction. He gave me a shot for nausea and said that I didn't appear to be dehydrated. Dad was told to keep an eye on me, withhold food for 24 hours, offer me "ice chips" and if I showed no improvement to bring me back in Monday. Sophie weighed in at 122 lbs. That's good cause she was 128 lbs 3 weeks ago when she came to live with us.

I ate some rice on Sunday evening and again Monday morning and I felt peppier than I had on Friday or Saturday. Monday night I threw up some more and I couldn't eat Tuesday morning so back to the vet's I went. This time I saw Dr. Collins. She's really nice and I liked having a girl doctor because she isn't as rough as the old man. Dr. Collins did a lot of blood work after talking to Dad about it. Everything in my blood was OK and normal and my fever had gone away. I had lost 2 pounds between Saturday and Tuesday but Dr Collins said that should be expected since I hadn't been eating. She gave Dad some pills to give me for my nausea. Well I started getting hungry so I'm eating like my old self again and drinking lots of water. I'm back to counter surfing and getting into mischief so Dad says I must be getting better. Dad's a little concerned because I did chuck up a little bit last night but he thinks that he may have given me a bit more kibble than he should have for dinner last evening. Anyway, I'm still walking around with a big "I" on me that Dad says he has to keep on me until he's sure I'm totally back to normal. Dad is such a worry wart, but I love him.

Don't forget to donate some time or money to your favorite animal shelter, rescue group, or the SPCA this holiday season. Kids can make up little Holiday Treat bags for dogs and/or cats to take to local shelters and help spread the holiday spirit. Every little bit helps and it might just save a life. If you don't have a favorite, my favorite is Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
CLICK HERE

Home For The Holidays

- Shelby Belle (The Puppy from *ell) / Bumpass Hound #4 (The SLOT position)


4 comments:

Gus said...

Shelby:

We hope you feel better soon. Teka was icky for a while, but she has almost picked up all the weight she lost. Hope your recovery is as swift.

gussie

Brenda said...

I hope she is feeling better soon. She has had a pretty tough couple of months and she deserves to be pampered for a while.

Gus said...

Dear Bumpass' (Bumpassessess?)
Glad you liked the carol. We'd be honored to have you out there singing it.

gussie
pee ss...help Shelby Belle is feeling Better!

Tracey and Huffle said...

Oh poor Shelby! I hope you're feeling better now. You gotta get well for christmas!

Huffle Mawson, waving at Boru the handsome boy.

FOR CHANCE, GORDON, HOMER, RADAR, SPENCER, CHANDLER, MAXDOG, LUKE & BLUE, AND SO MANY OTHERS.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

STEP UP TO ADOPT A PET

If you can, please consider opening your home to a homeless animal, preferably a dog or cat or other domesticated animal; livestock does better on farms and wild animals do better in zoos and parks. Your local Humane Society or SPCA or Animal Shelter has a wide selection of could be, should be, pets looking for new homes. If you can't adopt, perhaps you can at least become a sponsor. We'll show you how to help out Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary (AHGRRS) on our blog page, but you can help out any organization of your choice, but please help; contribute or volunteer.
- The Bumpass Hounds and Kitties

PLEASE HELP SPONSOR A SENIOR OR SPECIAL NEEDS GOLDEN

CAN'T ADOPT; BECOME AN ANGEL.
So many Senior and Special Needs Goldens do not find "forever homes". Many of these dogs have above average medical needs and costs, are maintained on "special" diets, or have other extraordinary needs. Your donations can be targeted towards a particular Senior or Special needs Golden Retriever. As a sponsor, you will receive updates about your "special" Golden, and will be mentioned in our quarterly newsletter as the dog's sponsor. We also accept Paypal donations. Please keep in mind that we are a non-profit organization and that your donation is fully tax-deductible. Please just write the Golden's name in the memo line of your check or Paypal submission when sponsoring a Golden Retriever.

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT
Recommended by Boru; what more need we say?

TAKE THE PLEDGE

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

GORDON'S PHOTO ALBUM SLIDESHOW

Total Pageviews

BUMPASS HOUNDS PLAYLIST


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones