Saturday, August 29, 2009

THE EYES HAVE IT

LOOK INTO MY EYES
YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY
SO AM I
Hey Hounders,
It is eye; Radar the Magnificent. I'm a rescued pup from the Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary where Ms. Carol and Mr. Skip saved my life.
As y'all probably know, I was born blind as a bat. But bats are like supposed to be born blind but Golden Retriever puppies are supposed to be born with eyes that soon open and reveal the wondrous world to them. But for some reason my eyes didn't cook enough and they didn't get done. And when the puppy maker said "Who wants to be a nub?" I thought he said "Who wants to be a stud?" and I got in that line, hence my "tail" is a non-wagable 2" nub stuck in a fixed position on top of my butt. Aside for those individualizing physical characteristics, I'm just a normal looking, everyday bundle of energy and curiosity known as a 7 month old Golden Retriever puppy. However, I also have some other traits that I'm sure most puppies don't have. I chewed/chew just about anything: cabinets, chairs, door sills, etc. You name it and I can chew it. I also can steal stuff from around the house and carry it around in my mouth, occasionally chewing on it; I bet you other pups wish you could do that. I've taken socks, slippers, tennis shoes, underwear, towels, etc and drug 'em all over the house; wouldn't it be great if other pups could do that, it's a lot of fun. Because I'm blind, I also have "discussions" with my brothers and sisters and the cats. Evidently only us blind pups have that ability. I can store mental imprints of my environment in my head. As long as I start out from a known and familiar position I usually don't bump into anything unless I've been tricked; like Sissy Sarah visiting and parking her car in the normally clear drive way - THUMP; "oh Sissy Sarah must be visiting." No fair picking me up and carrying me to some remote location; I gotta navigate there on my own in order to update my mental map. Every now and then I slip out of tolerance and have to update (thump) my present position. Yep, "a place for everything and everything in it's place." That's my motto. Anyway, if you look into my eyes you can probably tell just by looking at them that they don't work; that's what dad tells me. He said that I shouldn't worry about that because I can hear and smell much better than other dogs. I do kinda walk with my snout on the ground and grunting like a pig. I hope I don't get the swine flu from doing that.
- Radar and the Bumpass Hounds and Kitties










PLEASE Don't forget. Please make your guesses on this weeks Monday Mystery Guest. Just CLICK HERE to be taken to the Monday Mystery Guest posting and take a guess. Please, oh Pretty Please.

*************************************************************************** LIFE LESSONS FROM BORU:

Let sleeping cats lie.

9 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

I would LOVE to help!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Tracey and Huffle said...

Mum thought maybe she had swine flu this week, but it turns out it was just regular flu.

Huffle Mawson

Gus said...

Do ya think you might be part JRT, cause Teka does all those things. She also misses the high jump onto the big bed, and caroooommms into corners. See...you two are more alike than one would think on first glance.

Your eyes are fine Radar. They are like you, Deep, Dark and thoughtful. And they are so busy with your deep thoughts, they stopped letting light in.

gussie

Brodie and Ailsa said...

Our Tanya was eyeless for years and she used to gets around ons her own to cept whens things gots moved and she would go Thumps. Burty has a upside down tail, its up when hes happy and down whens hes angry, just as well theres no other cats around or thed gets confused.

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww....
what a great post dear Radar!!!
We loved reading about you and your life.....we thought that your life could be hard...but it seems to be wrong!!!!!
Sure you're like a bat....with your other sense you are able to live a wonderful life same!!!!
Soooooo....you're a great great thief??!!!!
Waawaawaaaaaaa.....
we would love to know you and playing with you!!!!
Your eyes are sooooooooooooooo sweet and very very expressive like you!!!!!
Can't wait to read another secrets of you!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!
HAve a wonderful weekend with all your family sweet Radar!!!!
WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

The Army of Four said...

"Swine Flu". Hee hee hee! You're not just adorable, you're VERY funny, too!
Love,
Ammy

Bob said...

Radar;
Just think , because you are blind God gave you a built in GPS system.
You have a much keener sense of where you are and which way to go then those of us that can see.
Tell you Dad your chewing will stop and that you are a great dog and that your tail gives you character.

Hamish & Sophie

Ben said...

Oh Ranger-
Don't worry about the eys not working like all the other doggies. It just makes you extra special. Like your dad says - it just kicks the nose and ears up a notch. My peeps had both Malcolm and Bailey loose their vision. That didn't slow the old dogs down any, just made them more aware. Rumor has it Bailey could beat Lance to the tennis ball even when she was blind.
Ben

Hery said...

good, i like it

FOR CHANCE, GORDON, HOMER, RADAR, SPENCER, CHANDLER, MAXDOG, LUKE & BLUE, AND SO MANY OTHERS.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

STEP UP TO ADOPT A PET

If you can, please consider opening your home to a homeless animal, preferably a dog or cat or other domesticated animal; livestock does better on farms and wild animals do better in zoos and parks. Your local Humane Society or SPCA or Animal Shelter has a wide selection of could be, should be, pets looking for new homes. If you can't adopt, perhaps you can at least become a sponsor. We'll show you how to help out Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary (AHGRRS) on our blog page, but you can help out any organization of your choice, but please help; contribute or volunteer.
- The Bumpass Hounds and Kitties

PLEASE HELP SPONSOR A SENIOR OR SPECIAL NEEDS GOLDEN

CAN'T ADOPT; BECOME AN ANGEL.
So many Senior and Special Needs Goldens do not find "forever homes". Many of these dogs have above average medical needs and costs, are maintained on "special" diets, or have other extraordinary needs. Your donations can be targeted towards a particular Senior or Special needs Golden Retriever. As a sponsor, you will receive updates about your "special" Golden, and will be mentioned in our quarterly newsletter as the dog's sponsor. We also accept Paypal donations. Please keep in mind that we are a non-profit organization and that your donation is fully tax-deductible. Please just write the Golden's name in the memo line of your check or Paypal submission when sponsoring a Golden Retriever.

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT
Recommended by Boru; what more need we say?

TAKE THE PLEDGE

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

GORDON'S PHOTO ALBUM SLIDESHOW

Total Pageviews

BUMPASS HOUNDS PLAYLIST


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones