Sunday, August 9, 2009

YESTERDAY

SUNDAY NEWS

Hey Hounders,
It's Sophie with my "little" blind buddy, Radar, with today's edition. Well it looks like it's going to be a scorcher in Bumpass today. Mom says we'll have to take it easy later in the day or she'll be bringing us all inside. We have to get all of the energy stuff done this morning so we don't get heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Dad will make sure that all of the water bowls are full and we'll probably spend the afternoon on the shaded concrete patio or down under the trees in the paddock. Well yesterday Radar and I went to Doc's hospital to get weighed. Radar is up to 56 lbs now and still chowing down like there's no tomorrow. Our last weigh-in was 3 weeks ago. I had gotten down to 76 lbs and mom and dad said that was in my maintenance range. So dad put me on my maintenance diet and I've gained 2 lbs and weigh 78 lbs. Dad has to make a few adjustments to: 1. get me back down closer to my 75 lb maintenance weight, and 2. keep me there. Dad was very apologetic and told me that it's not my fault and mom told dad that he probably gave me way too many of our Happy Heart Cookies when they arrived last week; he just couldn't help himself. Mom says the HHC are treats and not a supplementary diet. But none of us can resist begging for Happy Hearts. So I guess I'll be getting a little bit of a portion cut back for a few weeks. After we left the vet's we stopped at the PetSmart Store #1505 in Spotsylvania on our way home. IT was Radar's first trip to the store and dad says he needs to be socialized. I love going there and shopping with dad. He needed to get some large breed puppy food for the pest. There were two dog rescue groups set up outside the store and they had brought along a number of homeless dogs looking for their furever homes like Radar and I have found. Dad gave donations to both groups and picked up some literature about them. The two groups were
Bandit's Adoption & Rescue of K-9s (BARK) and Pet Harbor Rescue & Referral. There were a lot of volunteer children with the group and they all got to meet Radar. Many didn't realize that he's blind. But, unfortunately, once you look into his eyes you can tell that they didn't develop. The kids were all very excited about meeting us and radar and I got lots of attention and pets while dad visited with the big people. I want to tell you a bit about these groups; I read the flyers on the way home. I'm gonna do Pet Harbor today and I'll do BARK next week. Pet Harbor is ".. a port in the storm located in Virginia for homeless Siberian Huskies and cats..." I couldn't help but think how much our Sibe friend Khyra would love it because of her "fondness" for kitties. Pet Harbor can be reached at P.O. Box 73, Bowling Green, VA 22427 and their phone is (703) 583-HSKY. They save Siberian Huskies and cats, get them adoptable, & find them homes. Pet Harbor Rescue is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonstock Siberian Husky and cat rescue organization. Volunteers and tax deductible donations are how they operate. Check out their website at http://www.petharbor.org . I didn't get all the names of the Sibes at PetSmart but you can find them at http://www.petharbor.org/availdogs.shtml .
Here are a few of the dogs that they have saved and are available for adoption:
- Sophie and Radar and The Bumpass Hounds
-






-
-
-

-
-
-

















**************************
SUNDAY FUNNIES


6 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

When Mom did her furst transport in June of 08, the driver she met had a Siberian from Pet Harbor!

The Sibe's name is Sadie and lives in The State of TBH!

That is when Mom furst found out about that group!

How khool woo mentioned it!

It looks like the eagle and I khould be thinking alike!

Happy Sunday!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Gus said...

Woooo....those are some lovely sibes...not as beautiful as Miss Khrya, of course.

We are glad you told us about those places, the more groups like that workin' for us, the more dogs get good homes like mine.

Too bad we need them, though.

Gussie

Melvin said...

Oh goodness. I wish that I didn't live in a condo because I would adopt one of those huskies in a heartbeat.
Thanks for those funnnies! I needed it!

chicamom85 said...

That sounds like it was a pretty good day. Its fun going to the doggy store. Thank you for showing those pretty dog pictures, I hope they find forever homes soon.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

Abagale said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://smallpet.info

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

I think Happy Hearts cookies are worth the splurge, but that's just me.

That is a very unique Sibe rescue. Most rescue Sibes are not cat friendly. When we had our foster Sibe, Wilbur had to stay in his room whenever Ulee was out and about. She was not Wilbur friendly at least!

Steve

FOR CHANCE, GORDON, HOMER, RADAR, SPENCER, CHANDLER, MAXDOG, LUKE & BLUE, AND SO MANY OTHERS.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

STEP UP TO ADOPT A PET

If you can, please consider opening your home to a homeless animal, preferably a dog or cat or other domesticated animal; livestock does better on farms and wild animals do better in zoos and parks. Your local Humane Society or SPCA or Animal Shelter has a wide selection of could be, should be, pets looking for new homes. If you can't adopt, perhaps you can at least become a sponsor. We'll show you how to help out Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary (AHGRRS) on our blog page, but you can help out any organization of your choice, but please help; contribute or volunteer.
- The Bumpass Hounds and Kitties

PLEASE HELP SPONSOR A SENIOR OR SPECIAL NEEDS GOLDEN

CAN'T ADOPT; BECOME AN ANGEL.
So many Senior and Special Needs Goldens do not find "forever homes". Many of these dogs have above average medical needs and costs, are maintained on "special" diets, or have other extraordinary needs. Your donations can be targeted towards a particular Senior or Special needs Golden Retriever. As a sponsor, you will receive updates about your "special" Golden, and will be mentioned in our quarterly newsletter as the dog's sponsor. We also accept Paypal donations. Please keep in mind that we are a non-profit organization and that your donation is fully tax-deductible. Please just write the Golden's name in the memo line of your check or Paypal submission when sponsoring a Golden Retriever.

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT
Recommended by Boru; what more need we say?

TAKE THE PLEDGE

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

GORDON'S PHOTO ALBUM SLIDESHOW

Total Pageviews

BUMPASS HOUNDS PLAYLIST


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones