Thursday, June 3, 2010

THURSDAY MOVIE STAR IMPERSONATION

 
 Check the top right side bar. ---->>>>
AHGRRS is #1 in WV with 22.96% of the state vote.  The #2 shelter has 12.14%.  That's a 10.82% gap.

IS IT DUG, OR IS IT ABBY?
THE WORLD WONDERS.
UP OR DOWN?
MAY WE HAVE YOUR PAWTOGRAPHS, PLEASE?

  WHAT HAPPENED?
Hey Hounders,  Abby (Dabby-Doo) here with some "splaining to do."  But first, do you notice the striking resemblance between me and that dashing movie star Dug from the Disney-Pixar movie "UP?"  Isn't he just dreamy?
Y'all might have noticed that I am wearing the infamous C.O.S. (Cone Of Shame) and it isn't as a tribute to Dug.  I have been wearing it for almost two weeks now.  Seems that while we were having our internet problems we had a back yard brawl involving a significant segment of the pack.
Shelby Belle has been very disagreeable of late and one morning she kinda went berzerko and her and J.E.B decided to take it out on me.  Fortunately mom was home at the time and she quickly broke up the scuffle.  I had been put down on my back in the mud and had quite a few open and bleeding bite wounds.  Mom brought me in and gave me a bath and then she started doctoring me up.
By the time dad got home I was looking a lot better.  I had numerous small wounds on my neck and back but one particularly nasty piercing on my right hind leg inner thigh.  The bleeding had stopped but mom and dad could see inside the skin.  They started me on antibiotics and said I'd be going to the see vet the next morning.  Mom took me to see Doctor Collins at Confederate Ridge Animal Hospital.  Dr. Collins said mom had done the right thing and told mom to keep the piercing clean with saline and to use a cream on it and to continue my antibiotics for 10 days.  I was awarded the C.O.S. because I insisted on licking off the cream and chewing on the hole.  Well, I got to stay in the house as a Princess with Sophie and Patti; a arrangement that I'm sure will continue.  Everything was going GReat and my leg wound is healing up nicely, in fact, it is now closed and scabbed over.  Then last Friday evening, mom noticed a large lump on my back, about the size of a tennis ball.  It hadn't been there Friday morning.  Mom had dad look at it.  Dad determined that it was a fluid sack, probably an abscess from on e of my wounds.  Dad said it felt just like a water balloon.  He said the fact that it got so big so quickly and was just fluid was good, obviously not a tumor.  They decided that mom should try to drain the fluid with a syringe.  Well mom got 4 syringes full of a pinkish watery liquid out of the lump and made it just about totally go away.  The syringes went into the refrigerator in a sealed bag to go along to the vet's with me.  Saturday morning mom took me up to CRAH, this time to see Doctor Newman.  Dr. Newman said that once again mom had done the correct stuff.  She upped my antibiotic from 500mgs to 750mgs.  She shaved all the hair off my back around where my lump had been and she took a scalpel and 'lanced" the lump to drain out all of the remaining fluid.  She said that the antibiotics I had been taking for my leg wound had kept the liquid from being a thick yellow or pink substance.  She put an absorbent pad on the lancing and wrapped a big belly bandage around me.  I wore that until Sunday night when mom and dad took it off and cleaned me up. 
 
I am still draining a small amount of fluid but nothing gross.  I now have a small bandage over my lance and dad says that the drainage seems to have just about stopped.  I'm still on my 750mgs of AB twice a day.  Funny thing is that I've felt fine and acted normally through the entire episode.  Of course I'd easily be able to reach the lance if I didn't have the C.O.S. to inhibit me so that's staying on my head.  Mom and dad call it my hat.  It actually has a few advantages.  

I can completely cover my food bowl and treats with it so that no one else can steal any of my chow.  Mom takes it off of me but only while I'm having my rawhide because I need to hold the chewy with my front paws while I gnaw on it.  Dad says that the C.O.S. needs a rubber bumper around the rim edge because I'm always bumping into him and mom and he says it hurts.
- Abby and The Bumpass Hounds and Kitties



*************************
CHECK BACK TOMORROW TO FIND OUT HOW TO SUPPORT SUGAR


9 comments:

Sugar the Golden Retriever said...

Woof! Woof! As I about to leave you a comment ... I saw myself. Lots of Golden Thanks. I'll be sending you my Golden Healing Thoughts. YAh! That cone or hat can be annoying. Mmm a rubber around it is a wonderful idea. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Khyra, Khousin Merdie, And Sometimes Her Mom said...

WOW!

Woo Goldens are khwite the wild bunch!

We are glad Mom was there help Abby -

Paws khrossed fur the healing to khontinue without any additional incidents -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khousin Merdie & Khyra

Scout 'n Freyja said...

Owie, owie, owie! None of us has ever been beaten up before so we don't know what this is like but we think it must not be too much fun at all. We are sending loads of healing thoughts your way so you can take the cone off of your pretty head☺

Huffle Mawson said...

Poor Abby! I hope you will all heal up and not have any holes in you soon.

Gus said...

Teka says no rubber bumper on the cone...it would inhibit the ability to scoop objects up (like some otherdogs treat) on the fly. The little monster was quite an expert with it when she had her, um.....operation.

Best wishes to all

Gussie n teka

(our word of the day is "conesult!"

Sheila and Bob said...

Well Abby we are glad to hear that your Mom & Dad took good care of you and that you are on the mend.
Tell Shelby Belle and J.E.B to take a "chill pill".
Hope you are feeling 100% soon.
Your Dad is right it does hurt when hit with the cone of shame, especially from behind below the knees when you are wearing shorts.
Of course we don't wear shorts so we would not know how that feels, but our Dad and Mom are always saying "OUCH" whenever we have the C.O.S. on and bump into them.


Hamish & Sophie

Remington said...

I hope you feel better really, really soon!

Gus said...

Muzzer says to tell ya that she got a call from the liberry to come in and read, and she will be voting hr littel heart out!

Fred said...

Poor girl! Hope you are all better soon! And Old Girl says if your dad makes one of the rubber cones, she will take one, too. I can't imagine why.

FOR CHANCE, GORDON, HOMER, RADAR, SPENCER, CHANDLER, MAXDOG, LUKE & BLUE, AND SO MANY OTHERS.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

STEP UP TO ADOPT A PET

If you can, please consider opening your home to a homeless animal, preferably a dog or cat or other domesticated animal; livestock does better on farms and wild animals do better in zoos and parks. Your local Humane Society or SPCA or Animal Shelter has a wide selection of could be, should be, pets looking for new homes. If you can't adopt, perhaps you can at least become a sponsor. We'll show you how to help out Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary (AHGRRS) on our blog page, but you can help out any organization of your choice, but please help; contribute or volunteer.
- The Bumpass Hounds and Kitties

PLEASE HELP SPONSOR A SENIOR OR SPECIAL NEEDS GOLDEN

CAN'T ADOPT; BECOME AN ANGEL.
So many Senior and Special Needs Goldens do not find "forever homes". Many of these dogs have above average medical needs and costs, are maintained on "special" diets, or have other extraordinary needs. Your donations can be targeted towards a particular Senior or Special needs Golden Retriever. As a sponsor, you will receive updates about your "special" Golden, and will be mentioned in our quarterly newsletter as the dog's sponsor. We also accept Paypal donations. Please keep in mind that we are a non-profit organization and that your donation is fully tax-deductible. Please just write the Golden's name in the memo line of your check or Paypal submission when sponsoring a Golden Retriever.

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT
Recommended by Boru; what more need we say?

TAKE THE PLEDGE

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

GORDON'S PHOTO ALBUM SLIDESHOW

Total Pageviews

BUMPASS HOUNDS PLAYLIST


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones