Thursday, February 17, 2011

POOR OLD DAD

Hey Hounders,
Today it's me, Jack, doing a rare post.  I'm the quiet guy and don't get too much publicity.  I'm not an angel; I'm the guy that thought he could take on Max and Shiloh.  I probably weigh in the mid 60s and that gives Shiloh about 100 lbs on me and Max about a 90 lb advantage.  
 That episode didn't work out for me and poor Shelby Belle happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Vet bills alone for the 2 of us were pretty significant and then dad had to cordon off a portion of the paddock for Max and Shiloh so that we wouldn't have a repeat incident; poor old dad.
Speaking of POD (Poor Old Dad), I have some distressing news to pass along to ya'll.  Being the quiet guy, POD often talks to me because I'm a good listener and I don't talk back.  So I get to hear a lot of POD's confessions and disclosures.  Now I know that POD is sick.  He has developed a condition that is a bit distressing but explains some of the odd things that go on around here.  

Last week he dealt out the food bowls for the inside dogs and put a small milkbone in each one and placed them in the proper position on the kitchen floor.  He never added our meds or any kibble; just one small biscuit - duh!  Then he went down into the basement and when he came back about an hour later he picked up our now empty bowls and put them back on the counter.  

Fortunately when mom came home from work she asked dad if we dogs had been fed yet and he scratched his head and said he didn't think so and then he fed us under mom's supervision.  At least we all got an extra dinner biscuit.   I think POD has  A.A.A.D.D.  Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.  Somehow I feel better, even though dad evidently has it!!  He's been diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. So yesterday dad tells me this story which sheds some light on the situation.  Sitting in his chair, I happened to be at his side when he started petting my  head and then he said:  
"Jack, today I decide to water the garden.  As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.  As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier.  I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.  I lay my car keys on the table,
put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.  So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.  But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.  I take my check book off the table, then, I head down the hall trying to but then I see that there is only one check left..  My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking.  I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.  The Coke is getting warm and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.  As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need water.  I put the Coke on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.  I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.  I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.  Someone left it on the kitchen table.  I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.  I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.  So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.remember what I was planning to do.  At the end of the day, :the car isn't washed the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter, the flowers don't have enough water, there is still only one check in my check book,  I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys. Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day, and I'm really tired.  I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail."




Gee, all I can say now is Poor Old Dad.
- JACK (a.k.a. Jackity-Jack, Jack Attack)

YOU CAN HELP US OUT
Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary (AHGRRS) operates solely on private donations and corporate or organizational grants. Right now you can help us in our attempt to win a $1,000.00 grant from The Animal Rescue Site's Shelter Challenge. The below logo link will take you to the Animal Rescue Site (dad fixed it) where you will get to click to donate a free bowl of food to homeless animals. After you do that you will be presented with a "Thank You" page; at the right side of the top of that page please click on the "VOTE TODAY" button. That will then take you directly to the voting page. The only information that you need to enter is to select "WV" in the State box from the drop down menu and then click on "Search." The page will then do its' thing and will end up showing a list of shelters. The second shelter on the list will be  "Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue & Sanctuary, Inc. Capon Bridge, WV 26714." A "VOTE" button will also appear. Simply click on that "VOTE" button. After you vote you will see a confirmation page that requires you to identify an animal photo; this eliminates illegal machine voting. The answer is simply the type of animal that you see; dog, cat, turtle, fish, cow, etc. - not a specific breed. You can cast one vote everyday from as many different computers to which you have access. Actually, you can vote in the early morning and then again in the evening after about 8-10 hours; you can also vote from different browser such as MS-Explorer, Yahoo, Firefox and Google Chrome. Voting will run for about six more weeks.  You can have the Animal Rescue Site send you a daily reminder to "click" for free food; then you can vote in the All-Star Shelter Challenge. The more friends you can rally to vote the better our chances of winning. Every vote, every day, every computer - counts. On our blog we provide a status report of how we're doing; right now not so hot - 2nd place and slipping. Won't you please take the time to help out a senior Golden?

VOTING STATUS:
Slipped further back a little bit more today in the West Virginia state competition, as of 2/17/2011, AHGRRS is in 2nd place and the gap is widening a bit. We can get back to #1 again over a few days if ya'll don't give up your effort---- VOTE  We've got 17.52% of the WV vote today, up from yesterday when we had 17.41% ; BUT  #1 has 26.02%,up more than us from yesterday when they had 25.69%.  There's now a 8.50% gap (8.28% yesterday) which, hopefully, we can close in with just a week of heavy voting. We're now at #113 nationally; up one position from yesterday when we were #114.  The WV #1 shelter is at #55 nationally (yesterday #56); now still 58 spots ahead of us; it was 58 spots ahead of us yesterday. We are truly appreciative of your voting efforts on our behalf.  Please, let's keep up the surge.

PLEASE VOTE FOR AHGRRS

4 comments:

MAXMOM IN SA said...

Poor Old Dad!
The good news is that this affliction has no boundaries - it often appears in our household too...must be a Golden thing!
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

Fred said...

Oh dear! Sounds like POD is going to need even more help around there! Y'all take good care of him now, ya heah? ;P

Sheila and Bob said...

OMD, our Dad & Mom says your Dad must be reading their mail.
They have the same affliction, they said they are glad to know that they are not the only ones.

Ooops got to go, Dad is calling us he can't find his glasses....BOL

Hamish & Sophie

Huffle Mawson said...

Poor dad.

FOR CHANCE, GORDON, HOMER, RADAR, SPENCER, CHANDLER, MAXDOG, LUKE & BLUE, AND SO MANY OTHERS.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

STEP UP TO ADOPT A PET

If you can, please consider opening your home to a homeless animal, preferably a dog or cat or other domesticated animal; livestock does better on farms and wild animals do better in zoos and parks. Your local Humane Society or SPCA or Animal Shelter has a wide selection of could be, should be, pets looking for new homes. If you can't adopt, perhaps you can at least become a sponsor. We'll show you how to help out Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary (AHGRRS) on our blog page, but you can help out any organization of your choice, but please help; contribute or volunteer.
- The Bumpass Hounds and Kitties

PLEASE HELP SPONSOR A SENIOR OR SPECIAL NEEDS GOLDEN

CAN'T ADOPT; BECOME AN ANGEL.
So many Senior and Special Needs Goldens do not find "forever homes". Many of these dogs have above average medical needs and costs, are maintained on "special" diets, or have other extraordinary needs. Your donations can be targeted towards a particular Senior or Special needs Golden Retriever. As a sponsor, you will receive updates about your "special" Golden, and will be mentioned in our quarterly newsletter as the dog's sponsor. We also accept Paypal donations. Please keep in mind that we are a non-profit organization and that your donation is fully tax-deductible. Please just write the Golden's name in the memo line of your check or Paypal submission when sponsoring a Golden Retriever.

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT

A MUST READ FOR THE IN-THE-KNOW CAT
Recommended by Boru; what more need we say?

TAKE THE PLEDGE

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

GORDON'S PHOTO ALBUM SLIDESHOW

Total Pageviews

BUMPASS HOUNDS PLAYLIST


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones