Again, we'd like to give big "thank you" licks and snuggles to all of you that have chipped in to help AHGRR with the big problem that they are facing.
If you are not aware of the situation
just click here to find out.
If you are not aware of the situation
just click here to find out.
THE SHAKEY INJURY
Yesterday we mentioned that we had an injury because of our August 23rd 5.8 magnitude earthquake. Dad was far away at work when it happened and the big bridge he crosses over the Potomac River to get home was closed for inspection until after 5 PM. So dad didn't get home until about 7 PM; of course he had checked in with mom at her work when he found out that the epicenter was in Mineral and less than 10 miles from our house. Mom got to come home pretty soon after the earthquake. They only needed to do a little bit of cleanup and they got to leave early because the power wasn't working. The Food Lion grocery store next to the hospital was a really big mess. When mom got home she checked us all out but one of us was "hiding" and couldn't be found. When dad got home he was dispatched to find the missing pet but he didn't have any luck either. Of course all of the big oaf dogs were accounted for, but a few of the cats are known to have secret hiding places that mom and dad have yet to discover. Two days after the earthquake the missing cat was finally found sitting in one of the cat-trees.It was Jenny and she looked OK. A bit later however, dad happened to see Jenny walking and she wasn't using her right side hind leg; she was limping badly. Of course mom brought Jenny to work so the Dr. Dan could examine her (Jenny, not mom). When they came back mom said that Jenny had a torn muscle in her leg, kinda like ACL injuries that athletes get.
Jenny had to take some pain medicine for a few days (that's easy) and she had to stay quiet for about a month (that's not easy). Dad evicted Sophie from her crate in the MBR and fixed it up as Jenny's new apartment. He put one of the fleece cat cubes in the crate for Jenny to sleep in and he but a fleece mat in there for Jenny to lay on outside of the cube. He put in a mat with Jenny's food bowls and a water bowl. He cleaned one of the plastic paint roller pans and put
it in Sophie's extra large crate and filled in with liter for Jenny to use as her liter box. Jenny moved into the crate so that she didn't have to deal with ambushes and attacks by Gracie and/or Patti. Dr. Dan was trying to avoid having to do surgery on Jenny to reattach her muscle; he wanted her to heal naturally if possible. Jenny adapted well to her new digs. She soon realized that she was invincible to ambush and didn't even bat an eyelash when Patti, Gracie or Boru tried to intimidate her from outside of the crate.
So Jenny lived in Sophie's crate for six weeks. Mom and dad let her out occasionally under their supervision to check on her progress and finally decided that she was as healed as she would get. She can run and jump just as well as ever now. The only lingering effect is that when she sits down she doesn't tuck her right rear leg in close to her body like normal but has it set out a bit like she's trying to trip someone walking by her. While Jenny was living in her crate, Sophie started sleeping on the big bed at night. Sophie got used to sleeping on the bed instead of in her crate and guess what; she hasn't moved back into her crate even though Jenny has moved out. No one knows exactly what happened to Jenny during the shakey to cause her injury but it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that she's A-OK now and doing just fine.
MORE HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS
|LIKE MY "ALIEN" COSTUME?|
Why they’re dangerous: While good-intentioned neighbors may hand out raisins as a healthy alternative to candy, very small amounts of raisins (or grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Some dogs develop idiosyncratic reactions at any dose—in other words, ingesting any amount can cause serious damage.
What to watch for: Pets that have ingested raisins may show signs like vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and severe kidney failure.
|LIKE MY "HOLSTEIN COW" COSTUME?|
GLOW STICKS & JEWELRYWhy they’re dangerous: Pets love to chew on things they’re not supposed to, and cats in particular seem to love these items. Over the past year, 70 percent of Pet Poison Hotline’s calls relating to glow sticks and jewelry involved cats. In addition to the choking hazard, the contents of glow sticks can cause pain and irritation in the mouth.
What to watch for: Keep an eye out for mouth pain, as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth.
|LIKE MY "PAJAMAS" COSTUME?|
Why they’re dangerous: Your owners may love the costume, but does the pet? Some costumes can cause discomfort in pets, and any metallic beads, snaps, or other small pieces (particularly those made of zinc or lead) can result in serious poisoning if ingested. Finally, don’t ever dye or apply coloring to a pet’s fur, even if the dye is labeled non-toxic to humans.
What to watch for: If your people dress their pets in costumes, teach them to make sure it doesn’t impair the pets’ vision, movement, or air intake.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, BE CAREFUL, BE VERY CAREFUL, BECAUSE:
Xylitol is poisonous to dogs.
Many sugarless gums (including some Trident, Orbit, and Ice Breaker brands) and candies contain xylitol, a sweetener which is toxic to dogs. Beware those desserts or baked goods that could also be made with xylitol! Even small amounts ingested can result in a life-threatening drop in blood sugar, or with large amounts of ingestion, liver failure. Signs of a low blood sugar include vomiting, weakness, difficulty walking, tremoring, or even seizuring, and immediate veterinary attention should be sought! Treatment includes decontamination (i.e., inducing vomiting, if your veterinarian deems appropriate!), checking a blood glucose/sugar level, treating with IV fluids and dextrose (in the IV fluids), liver monitoring tests, and drugs like SAM-E to protect the liver. Safer yet, don’t let your pet purse-snatch your pack of gum!
What it’s in:
Xylitol is a common sugar-substitute used in sugar-free chewing gum, breath mints, candies, and baked goods. It is also found in some smoking-cessation products like nicotine gum. Bulk xylitol can be purchased for cooking at home. Finally, it has dental plaque fighting properties and also found (in non-toxic amounts) in pet mouth wash and oral rinses.
Threat to pets:
Xylitol may cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar as well as causing liver damage to dogs. Cats and people do not experience this problem. Typically, the dose needed to cause poisoning is at least 0.05 grams per pound of body weight (0.1 grams per kilogram of body weight). Chewing gums and breath mints typically contain 0.22-1.0 gram of xylitol per piece of gum or per mint. Thus, to achieve a potentially toxic dose, a 10 pound dog would only have to eat one piece of gum! The amount of xylitol typically found in most pet oral-care products is very small and, when used properly, is not expected to cause poisoning unless the dog ingests a very large amount.
Signs of xylitol poisoning:
Within 10-15 minutes of ingestion dogs may develop hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and start vomiting, become uncoordinated or start staggering. Collapse and seizures may quickly follow. Rarely, these signs may not begin until many hours after ingestion.
Rapid decontamination (induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage), intravenous dextrose (sugar) and fluids, frequent monitoring of blood sugar levels and liver values, liver protectants and in-hospital care.
Excellent when the ingestion is caught early and blood sugars are monitored frequently. Guarded if the dog has already begun to develop liver failure.